Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows

From: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Polak <tom(at)rockfordarearealtors(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compared MS SQL 2000 to Postgresql 9.0 on Windows
Date: 2010-12-17 17:36:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Tom Polak
<tom(at)rockfordarearealtors(dot)org> wrote:
> What kind of performance can I expect out of Postgres compare to MSSQL?

You should take any generalizations with a grain of salt. I suggest
that you do a POC.

> Let's assume that Postgres is running on Cent OS x64 and MSSQL is running
> on Windows 2008 x64, both are on identical hardware running RAID 5 (for
> data redundancy/security), SAS drives 15k RPM, dual XEON Quad core CPUs,
> 24 GB of RAM.

RAID-5 = suckage for databases.

Things to think about:
How big is your data set and how big is your working set?
Do you have a raid card? Is it properly configured?

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com