Checkpoint and Background Writer Statistics

From: Sam Nelson <samn(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Checkpoint and Background Writer Statistics
Date: 2011-02-22 22:42:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, list.

We're trying to pull a few various metrics from the postgres catalogs to
analyze database performance, and included is buffers_checkpoint and
buffers_clean from pg_stat_bgwriter.

One of our clients has an lru_max_dirty setting of 1000 and a bgwriter_delay
of 200, but we're still seeing much higher growth in the buffers_checkpoint
than buffers_clean, with buffers_checkpoint increasing at about 20 times the
rate that buffers_clean is. We don't see very much growth in the
maxwritten_clean, though - something like one every couple of days.

So the questions is, why are there still so many more checkpoint buffers
than clean buffers written? Does the buffers_checkpoint value include more
than we think? If not, can we tune things further?

---
Samuel Nelson
Consistent State
www.consistentstate.com