Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Date: 2010-06-24 19:14:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

2010/6/24 Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>:

>> And I'm also planning to implement unlogged tables, which have the
>> same contents for all sessions but are not WAL-logged (and are
>> truncated on startup).

this is similar MySQL's memory tables. Personally, I don't see any
practical sense do same work on PostgreSQL now, when memcached exists.
Much more important is smarter cache controlling then we have now -
maybe with priorities for some tables and some operations
(applications) - sometimes we don't need use cache for extra large
scans.

Regards

Pavel Stehule