Re: multibyte-character aware support for function "downcase_truncate_identifier()"

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rajanikant Chirmade <rajanikant(dot)chirmade(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multibyte-character aware support for function "downcase_truncate_identifier()"
Date: 2010-11-21 21:14:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Rajanikant Chirmade <rajanikant(dot)chirmade(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> Every identifier is downcase & truncated by function
>> "downcase_truncate_identifier()"
>> before using it.
>
>> But since the function "downcase_truncate_identifier()" is not
>> multibyte-charecter aware,
>> it is not able to downcase some of special charecters in identifier like
>> "my_SchemÄ".
>
> IIRC this is intentional.  Please consult the archives for previous
> discussions.

Why would this be intentional?

One concern I have about this approach is that I am guessing that the
current implementation of str_tolower() is a lot slower than the
current implementation of downcase_truncate_identifier(). It would be
nice to have an implementation that is capable of handling wide
characters but doesn't actually incur the speed penalty unless a wide
character is actually present.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company