Re: More then 1600 columns?

From: Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Mitchell <mmitchell(at)riccagroup(dot)com>
Cc: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <cce(at)clarkevans(dot)com>, Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More then 1600 columns?
Date: 2010-11-12 22:07:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Mark,

For these purposes (dynamically properties) we have hstore in PostgreSQL
which works very well. Any table in PostgreSQL is a static composite type
as well. I don't clearly understand why do you need thousands NULLable
columns in a huge tables (which also makes NOT NULL constraints useless)
rather than well defined compact table with just one (statically allocated)
column of type hstore ? Again I think that hstore ideal solution here.