Re: Performance under contention

From: Omar Kilani <omar(dot)kilani(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jignesh Shah <jkshah(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance under contention
Date: 2010-11-22 10:01:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Ivan,

We have the same issue on our database machines (which are 2x6
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz with 24 logical cores and 144Gb
of RAM) -- they run RHEL 5. The issue occurs with our normal OLTP
workload, so it's not just pgbench.

We use pgbouncer to limit total connections to 15 (this seemed to be
the 'sweet spot' for us) -- there's definitely a bunch of contention
on ... something... for a workload where you're running a lot of very
fast SELECTs (around 2000-4000/s) from more than 15-16 clients.

I had a chat with Neil C or Gavin S about this at some point, but I
forget the reason for it. I don't think there's anything you can do
for it configuration-wise except use a connection pool.

Regards,
Omar