Re: wCTE: about the name of the feature

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wCTE: about the name of the feature
Date: 2011-02-26 05:52:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Yay!  I'm excited about this, particularly the possible "pipelining"
>> stuff, where you can do WITH (DELETE .. RETURNING ..) INSERT ...  and
>> have it be like cool and fast and stuff.
>
>> Or at least I hope you can do that.
>
> It's gonna need some work yet.  As things stand, the tuples are indeed
> pipelined through, but the CteScan nodes *also* stash them aside into
> tuplestores, just in case somebody demands a rescan.  Fixing that will
> require revisiting the exec flags (EXEC_FLAG_REWIND etc).  We don't
> currently distinguish "it's unlikely you'll have to rescan" from
> "you're guaranteed not to have to rescan", but a CteScan that's covering
> a ModifyTable has to know the latter to not have to keep hold of copies
> of the RETURNING tuples.
>
> It might be a small enough change to do after alpha starts, but I don't
> have time for it right now.

Well, if nothing else, the potential is there for a future release.
I'm probably not quite as excited about this feature as David Fetter
(and my 100-Watt lightbulb is not quite as bright as the sun at high
noon in midsummer) but I do think it's pretty cool, and I appreciate
you getting it in, even in a somewhat basic form.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company