Re: postgre on virtual machine

From: Emanuel Calvo Franco <postgres(dot)arg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Georgi Ivanov <georgi(dot)r(dot)ivanov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgre on virtual machine
Date: 2010-10-20 11:16:44
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/10/20 Georgi Ivanov <georgi(dot)r(dot)ivanov(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Hi,
> Is there any specific reason one should/should not run postgre on virtual
> machine for production ?
> Is there any special tuning for virtual environment ?
> Client of mine is running 8.4 on  virtual machine (VMWare ) so I'm wandering
> if there is anything special I can tune to speed up a bit.
> Also if I must choose between more RAM and more virtual cores what should I
> choose ?

All is relative. But in some experiences, I saw good performance for
SOME applications
with virtual environments. It's all relative to the mass of
transactionality, load average,
number of GB of database, etc.

Try first to determinate the 'weight' of tasks that this DB could get.

Next, remember to have:
- good storage (amonut and speed)
- have the number of processors required to meet all the processes
that launch postgres
- redundance or good backups.

You can not spare RAM or CORES. What will tell you, the exact amount
of each other,
is 'how' the application will use the base.

If you share more details, maybe we could help a little more.

--
              Emanuel Calvo Franco
        DBA | www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar