Re: Data Types

From: ALT SHN <i(dot)geografica(at)alt-shn(dot)org>
To: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data Types
Date: 2010-11-06 11:48:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I'll try adress each suggestion.

*Jean-Yves F. Barbie*:
Thanks for the link with the tutorial it's very enlightning.
I had some notions of RDB theory but this destroyed some erroneus
conceptions I had;

*Jean-Yves F. Barbi & **Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina*
The reason why I don't want to create separate tables to deal with this
issue is because this is a provisional information. I'll explain. The table
"paleosites" is in fact a Shapefile that was imported via PostGIS. The
column "species" it's only the first impression gathered on field work. The
real species might take years or even decades to fully determine. For
example we know that from paleosite "x" we have remains of dinossauria but
what group? what species? Only laboratory work will be able do determine
this...

The column "species" is, therefore, intended to give a first hint. The real
species- that are fully studied are on a table called "specimens" wich is
linked to table "species" in a relation1:m.
*
*
Do you thing that even though this issues I'm still modeling the wrong way?
If I stick to the original idea (enumerating all the species in column
"species" with datatype text) maybe I could eliminate the spaces
(DinossariaCrocodilia) or that's just irrelevant?

*Andreas:*
Yes the "paleosites" table has point geometry taken from a shapefile build
in real-time GPS field survey.

Thank you so much people!
(rookiness can be an awfull thing!)

Best Regards,

André Mano

Associação Leonel Trindade
SOCIEDADE DE HISTÓRIA NATURAL

Apartado 25 2564-909 Torres Vedras Portugal
Sede e Biblioteca: rua Cavaleiros da Espora Dourada, 27A 2560 Torres Vedras

Laboratório de Paleontologia e Paleoecologia: Polígono Industrial do Alto do
Ameal 2565-641 Ramalhal
http://alt-shn.blogspot.com
www.alt-shn.org*