Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences

From: "Lello, Nick" <nick(dot)lello(at)rentrakmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences
Date: 2010-11-05 12:26:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

How about either:-

a) Size the pool so all your data fits into it.

b) Use a RAM-based filesystem (ie: a memory disk or SSD) for the
data storage [memory disk will be faster] with a Smaller pool
- Your seed data should be a copy of the datastore on disk filesystem;
at startup time copy the storage files from the physical to memory.

A bigger gain can probably be had if you have a tightly controlled
suite of queries that will be run against the database and you can
spend the time to tune each to ensure it performs no sequential scans
(ie: Every query uses index lookups).