Re: crash-safe visibility map, take four

From: 高增琦 <pgf00a(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: crash-safe visibility map, take four
Date: 2011-03-30 03:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Should we do full-page write for visibilitymap all the time?
Now, when clear visiblitymap, there is no full-page write for vm
since we don't save buffer info in insert/update/delete's log.

The full-page write is used to protect pages from disk failure. Without it,
1) set vm: the vm bits that should be set to 1 may still be 0
2) clear vm: the vm bits that should be set to 0 may still be 1
Are these true? Or the page is totally unpredictable?

Another question:
To address the problem in
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg02097.php
, should we just clear the vm before the log of insert/update/delete?
This may reduce the performance, is there another solution?

Thanks.

--
GaoZengqi
pgf00a(at)gmail(dot)com