Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2010-12-29 14:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com> wrote:

> 2010/12/29 Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
>
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <description of split stuff>
>>
>> So, how different (or not) is this to the "directory" format that was
>> coming out of the desire of a parallel pg_dump?
>>

> Not sure what format you are referring to? Custom, tar or plain text?
> I noticed there are two undocumented formats as well, "append" and "file".
> I tried both of these undocumented formats, but it did not procude any
> directory structure of the dumped objects.
>
> Could you please explain how to use the "directory format" is such a format
> already exists?
> I can't find it in the documentation nor the source code of HEAD.

It is still being discussed as a patch to pg_dump. Google for "directory
archive format for pg_dump", specifically in archives.postgresql.org.

AFAIK, that applies to parallel dumps of data (may help in --schema-only
dumps too), and what you are trying is for schema.

Regards
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device