Re: pg_ctl failover Re: Latches, signals, and waiting

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl failover Re: Latches, signals, and waiting
Date: 2011-01-13 02:29:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 00:14, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> pg_ctl failover ? At the moment, the location of the trigger file is
>> configurable, but if we accept a constant location like "$PGDATA/failover"
>> pg_ctl could do the whole thing, create the file and send signal. pg_ctl on
>> Window already knows how to send the "signal" via the named pipe signal
>> emulation.
>
> The attached patch implements the above-mentioned pg_ctl failover.

I have three comments:
- Will we call it "failover"? We will use the command also in "switchover"
operations. "pg_ctl promote" might be more neutral, but users might be
hard to imagine replication feature from "promote".

- pg_ctl should unlink failover_files when it failed to send failover signals.

- "standby_triggered" variable might be renamed to "failover_triggered" or so.

--
Itagaki Takahiro