Advice needed

From: ALT SHN <i(dot)geografica(at)alt-shn(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Advice needed
Date: 2010-10-29 21:27:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello List,

I'm new to pgsql and to databases in general, and i'm about to implement a
small db for a non profit organization in Portugal, focused on paleontology,
and I seek some advices.
I'll expose my issues regarding relational model theory:

1 - Is it possible that a primary key and a given attribute are similar in
the same line of a table? Like this:

* Name (PK) | Category | Filos *
* a * | g |* a *
* b * | *b* | k

2 - Relational Database Theory advices you to do normalization at least to
3rd normal form. However, if I strictily follow this, I'll end up with tens
of tables, and all of them will have to be filled from scratch. But if I
stick to 2nd normal form, I'll end up with only 6 tables wich makes it much
easier for users to fill them. So, my question is: given the computational
capabilities of today, and given the expected size of this DB (10000
records), Wouldn'd be better to let to normalization as of 2nd normal form?

BTW, if anyone as good scientif papers on the subject that could share i
would also appreciate.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,

Andre Mano
Associação Leonel Trindade
SOCIEDADE DE HISTÓRIA NATURAL

Apartado 25 2564-909 Torres Vedras Portugal
Sede e Biblioteca: rua Cavaleiros da Espora Dourada, 27A 2560 Torres Vedras

Laboratório de Paleontologia e Paleoecologia: Polígono Industrial do Alto do
Ameal 2565-641 Ramalhal
http://alt-shn.blogspot.com
www.alt-shn.org