Re: insert statement going into infinite loop

From: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Trimurthulu Bandaru <trimurthulub(at)mediaforte(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: insert statement going into infinite loop
Date: 2010-12-24 23:11:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Trimurthulu Bandaru
<trimurthulub(at)mediaforte(dot)in> wrote:
> Hi everybody..
> I have table with 11 attributes, 6 of them refers different tables and
> having one primary key.
> when I am trying to insert row with 121 key value, its going into
> infinite loop..

define "infinite loop", the truth is that you're giving almost no
information so all we can try now is to guess and cross fingers ;)

are you describing that the INSERT never finishes?
if so, maybe the table is locked... you can know that by looking in
pg_stat_activity view and find your statement in the field
current_query and see the field waiting, if is true then the statement
is locked waiting for something...
or you can see the pg_locks view where relation = 'your_table'::regclass

another posibility is that you have a trigger in the table after or
before insert and then inside the trigger inserting a new value on the
same table forcing a new execution of the trigger making it
recursive...

> I am thinking its a bug in postgres..

it's too early to blame postgres

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL