From: Ayse Abacioglu <ayse(dot)abacioglu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: torontopug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2010-10-29 16:55:24
Lists: torontopug

Hello All,

I am new to Postgresql, and Linux, so please forgive me if this is a
user error. ; I am trying to evaluate the Postgres DB; I have
downloaded postgresql-9.0.1-1-linux.bin from www.enterprisedb.com.
While running postgressql-9.0.1.1 installer on GNU/Linux i686 i686
i386, I got the following error:

Select the locale to be used by the new database cluster.

Locale

[1] [Default locale]
[2] C
[3] POSIX
Please choose an option [1] :

Setup is now ready to begin installing PostgreSQL on your computer.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]: y

Please wait while Setup installs PostgreSQL on your computer.

Installing
0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%
########################################Warning: Problem running
post-install step. Installation may not complete
correctly
The database cluster initialisation failed.
Press [Enter] to continue :
#

Setup has finished installing PostgreSQL on your computer.

The error in the log file;

Initialising the database cluster (this may take a few minutes)...
Executing /opt/PostgreSQL/installer/server/initcluster.sh "postgres"
"postgres" "****" "/opt/PostgreSQL" "/opt/PostgreSQL/data" 5432
DEFAULT
Script exit code: 1

Script output:
Failed to initialise the database cluster with initdb

Script stderr:
/opt/PostgreSQL/bin/initdb: error while loading shared libraries:
libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Error running /opt/PostgreSQL/installer/server/initcluster.sh
"postgres" "postgres" "****" "/opt/PostgreSQL" "/opt/PostgreSQL/data"
5432 DEFAULT : /opt/PostgreSQL/bin/initdb: error while loading shared
libraries: libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
The database cluster initialisation failed.
Creating Uninstaller
Creating uninstaller 25%
Creating uninstaller 50%
Creating uninstaller 75%
Creating uninstaller 100%
Installation completed

Later, when I tried to uninstall, I got the following errors;

Script stderr:
/bin/sh: /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.0: No such file or directory

Error running /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.0 stop : /bin/sh:
/etc/init.d/postgresql-9.0: No such file or directory
Executing /opt/PostgreSQL/installer/server/removeshortcuts.sh
"/opt/PostgreSQL" 9.0 "PostgreSQL 9.0"
Script exit code: 1

Script output:
Failed for search and replace
'<Filename>pg-psql-9_0.desktop</Filename>' with '' in
/applications-merged/pg-postgresql-9_0.menu

Script stderr:
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.
sed: can't read /applications-merged/pg-postgresql-9_0.menu: No such
file or directory

Error running /opt/PostgreSQL/installer/server/removeshortcuts.sh
"/opt/PostgreSQL" 9.0 "PostgreSQL 9.0" : xdg-icon-resource: No
writable system icon directory found.
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.

Thanks,

Ayse