Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date: 2011-03-08 10:48:30
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> I was also worried about the non-hot-standby case, but I see that the
>> patch makes sure you can't enable pause when not in hot standby mode.
>> Which in itself might be surprising - perhaps we need a NOTICE for
>> when that happens as well?
>
> I didn't include this fix in the patch because I prefer FATAL to
> NOTICE for that.
> NOTICE doesn't stop recovery. So we might be unable to notice such a NOTICE
> message and stop the recovery before it's too late, i.e., the recovery has
> completed at the undesirable point. So I think that emitting FATAL is safer.

I included this fix in the patch, which emits FATAL if pause_at_recovery_target
is enabled while hot standby is disabled and the recovery target is set.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
change_recovery_conf_sample_v3.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB