Re: Grammar and formatting errors for 9.02 pdf version

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Grammar and formatting errors for 9.02 pdf version
Date: 2010-12-22 03:56:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Leslie S Satenstein
<lsatenstein(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Robert, I am not familiar with your patch process.  However, I can copy and paste the offending lines in the PDF file, to a word or openoffice document, and use green for insert and red text for delete.  As well as identifying the page.
>
> Some text, if rephrased, makes the meaning more clear. Some text has missing nouns and where several nouns preceed a pronoun,  it causes a delay as one analyzes the sentence to extract the author's meaning.
>
> If there is a better way, please advise me.

Please keep replies on-list, and write your replies beneath the quoted
text rather than above it.

To submit a patch, you need to check out the source code, edit the
SGML documentation, and then use git diff. See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

In short:

git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
<make your changes in doc/src/sgml>
git diff > grammar.patch
<email the patch file to pgsql-docs>

If you have only a handful of changes, feel free to just point out the
parts that you think could be phrased better and how you think they
should be written, rather than generating a patch. Actually, it'd
probably be better to point out the first few changes that way anyhow,
to see if we agree with your opinions on what should be done. If
you're submitting a large number of edits, you're going to have to
learn how to generate a patch file as per the above, because otherwise
it's going to be extremely laborious for anyone to think about
applying your changes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company