Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)

From: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: stagirus <mamasa(at)stagirus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)
Date: 2010-10-02 05:03:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-jdbc

subclassing the dialect is almost certainly overkill for what you are trying
to accomplish. Why not just define a UserType that works with a smallint
column and then use it in your mappings wherever you need to map a boolean
to a smallint. That will work in Oracle just as it will in postgres, so you
won't have an incompatibility that requires a code change in order to switch
platforms - it will just be explicit in both platforms. That's way less
invasive (and probably a lot less side effect prone) than trying to modify
the dialect.

As for why no one mentioned it, I think that is because probably every one
of us thinks that's the worst solution to your problem of all those that
have been presented so far. If you lack the experience with hibernate such
that you aren't even aware of the existence of the dialect classes, then you
probably shouldn't be mucking about with modifying them - especially when
hibernate provides a mechanism to solve exactly your problem in the form of
user defined types. I cannot fathom what your resistance to using a user
type might be. Your problem is exactly what they are designed for - to map
an arbitrary java class to an arbitrary database structure. In your case,
the user type will be incredibly simple, since it is mapping a built-in type
to a single column via a nearly trivial conversion mechanism. You could fix
this in 20 minutes or less with a hibernate book and a user type.