Re: I am confused after reading codes of PostgreSQL three week

From: hom <obsidianhom(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am confused after reading codes of PostgreSQL three week
Date: 2011-03-20 03:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2011/3/19 Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Hello hom,
>
> Frankly I am a learner as well. The experts here are almost always ready
> to help and would be a better source of information.
>
> Moreover I am also using eclipse but I do not use it for building the
> source. I use it only as a source code browser (its easy in GUI; isn't
> it? ). I am trying to learn about the executor so can't say much about
> the parser. However I suppose that you must be knowing the rules of the
> tools flex and bison to understand the parser. And why are you into
> scan.c? It is created by flex dear. Read the scan.l and gram.y instead.
> It is these files which are responsible for the major work done by the
> parser.
>
> If you are keen about the parser, go learn lex and yacc (or flex and
> bison ... they are almost the same) and then go through the scan.l and
> gram.y files. It is actually an _extremely_ tough job to read the
> generated files. Once again, do turn off the "Search for duplicate
> source files" option. There are no duplicate files in the source tree.
>
> Also, if you are using the copy of source tree which was built once in
> the workspace, things can be a little different.
>
> @others: Well, I do know that there are a few books in the market
> written by the devs but how much does it help when I am already banging
> my head into source since last 5 months?
>

> Regards,
> Vaibhav

Thanks Vaibhav.

I trace into scan.c because I want to known how the paser tree is
built and I debug the source step by step.
Then the eclipse pick up the scan.I and the excute order does not
match the code.

Actually, I have no idea which module of the source I should read first.
I have a quick glance at the source and I known a litter about how a
query excutes.
But the modules are so connected. I don't known what part I should be deep in.

Now, I plan to study deep in mmgr. Will it be suitable?

--
Best Wishes!

                                     hom