Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso(dot)camargo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Date: 2010-08-31 16:06:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi!

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Yeb Havinga wrote:
>>
>> The rather wierd dip at 5 threads is consistent over multiple tries
>
> I've seen that twice on 4 core systems now.  The spot where there's just one
> more thread than cores seems to be the worst case for cache thrashing on a
> lot of these servers.
>
> How much total RAM is in this server?  Are all the slots filled?  Just
> filling in a spreadsheet I have here with sample configs of various
> hardware.
>
> Yeb's results look right to me now.  That's what an AMD Phenom II X4 940 @
> 3.00GHz should look like.  It's a little faster, memory-wise, than my older
> Intel Q6600 @ 2.4GHz.  So they've finally caught up with that generation of
> Intel's stuff.  But my current desktop quad-core i860 with hyperthreading is
> nearly twice as fast in terms of memory access at every thread size.  That's
> why I own one of them instead of a Phenom II X4.

your i860? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_i860 wow!. :D

Now, seriously: what memory (brand/model) does the Q6600 and your
newer desktop have?

I'm just too curious, last time I was able to run benchmarks myself
was with a core2duo and a athlon 64 x2, back then: core2due beated
athlon at almost anything.

Nowadays, it looks like amd is playing the "more cores for the money"
game, but I think that sooner or later they will catchup again, and
when that happen: Intel will just get another ET chip, and put on
marked,and so on! :D

This is a game where the winners are: us!