Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql

From: MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Martin Farach-Colton <martin(at)tokutek(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql
Date: 2010-11-08 15:52:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Martin Farach-Colton <martin(at)tokutek(dot)com> wrote:

> The B-tree bottleneck is inherent in the data structure, not a function of
> InnoDB vs postgresql vs ....
> Fractal trees do not perform disk seeks for each insertion, and they are
> therefore very good at insertions.
> Martin Farach-Colton
> Tokutek, Inc

It isn't that simple as I described earlier in this thread. InnoDB has
the insert buffer:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=insert+buffer+innodb

InnoDB can do a disk seek for each PK/unique index on a table during
an insert. It does not do disk seeks for each secondary index.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com