Re: JSON Patch for PostgreSQL - BSON Support?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Charles Pritchard <chuck(at)jumis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JSON Patch for PostgreSQL - BSON Support?
Date: 2010-08-16 15:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> If BSON is simply in effect an efficient encoding of JSON, then it's not
>> clear to me that we would want another type at all. Rather, we might
>> want to consider storing the data in this supposedly more efficient
>> format, and maybe also some conversion routines.
>
> Hmm, that's an interesting plan ...

It is interesting, but I'm not sure that it will actually work out
well in practice. If what we want to do is compress JSON, TOAST will
do that for us without any additional code, and probably a lot more
efficiently. Of course, until someone tests it, we're just
speculating wildly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company