Re: string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by
Date: 2010-08-05 14:57:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
>>>
>>> What syntax is that?
>
>> An example I've found is:
>> SELECT deptno, LISTAGG(ename, ',') WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY ename) AS employees
>> FROM   emp
>> GROUP BY deptno;
>
> That wouldn't help this problem in the least.  The problem is that
> novices unfamiliar with the SQL-standard aggregrate ORDER BY syntax
> may try to put the ORDER BY in the wrong place.  Offering a different
> syntax won't stop them from doing that.  The only way it might stop
> would be if we documented *only* the Oracle syntax and not the
> spec-compliant syntax.  Which ain't gonna happen.
>
> [ does a bit more research ... ]  Actually, the syntax Thom mentions
> is not Oracle-specific; it's in SQL:2008, and AFAICT it means something
> different from an aggregate ORDER BY anyway.  Maybe Pavel had something
> else in mind.  But my point is still that offering a different syntax
> doesn't fix the problem unless we eliminate the mistake-prone syntax;
> which we can't because it's in the spec.

I though this syntax - and what I know Oracle use it for explicit
order and I found lot of sources on net, where is syntax of aggregates
like

name(parameters) [within group ( order by ... ) ]

but my knowledge of this subject is minimal, based on Oracle doc, when
I worked on string_agg function.

I agree, so different syntax doesn't remove a risks, but can decrease
some risks. SQL has lot of a possible dangerous syntaxes and everybody
can selects the most robust syntax.

But this issue can be solved a better documentation.

Regards

Pavel