Re: Additional options for Sync Replication

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional options for Sync Replication
Date: 2011-03-29 20:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> Writing such long emails seems to be just filibustering to me. I doubt
>> anyone has read and considered every word, there are just too many. A
>> form of disrespect.
>
> Simon, Robert has been nothing but respectful to you.  You can't accuse
> him of being rude and hostile just because he disagrees with you.
> Overselling his case, certainly.  But very politely.

If hostile's wanted, then we can come up with something hostile ;-).

Much better is to try to take a different perspective.

There are a number of features that were *turned down* for 9.1,
deferred for 9.2, because they weren't sufficiently ready at the
appointed time. There were 26 patches "Returned with Feedback"; there
are likely several of them which, if given the special handling given
to Synchronous Replication, could have been drawn into 9.1.

It's only fair to try to get the release out, so that these people
that have been waiting patiently have opportunity to get their
submissions into 9.2. The longer they wait, the more reason to get
hostile for better reason...