Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions

From: Michael Felt <mamfelt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Before I call it a bug - some comments and questions
Date: 2010-09-09 15:01:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I have just run compiled postgres on AIX (AIX 5.3, pgsql version 8.4.4) and
have a few surprises regarding the make process.

1. Very nice - it found gmake as /usr/local/bin/make and called GNUmakefile
2. The make completes and it starts a test.
-- As I build, generally, as root - this failed because initdb does not want
to run as root
-- su to another user after changing ownership of the files, fails because
not enough space (maybe check for space)
-- enlarge filesystem, run make again, tests all succeed, and then make
fails trying to install docs (not root!)
--- why is the initial make installing/copying anything outside of the
project directory (in this case it was /usr/local/pgsql if I recall
correctly).
--- My non-root user has no right to write there, so the "build" failed
again.

3. A question: what is the best way to get the make process to install in a
alturnate directory. Some projects use an environment variable.

4. Minor point: why is /usr/local/include not in the -I list by default? I
had to add CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include for configure to complete.

Regards,
Michael