Re: Partitioning into thousands of tables?

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioning into thousands of tables?
Date: 2010-08-18 15:41:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Data Growth Pty Ltd
<datagrowth(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have a table of around 200 million rows, occupying around 50G of disk.  It
> is slow to write, so I would like to partition it better.

How big do you expect your data to get? I have two tables partitioned
into 100 subtables using a modulo operator on the PK integer ID
column. This keeps the row counts for each partition in the 5-million
range, which postgres handles extremely well. When I do a mass
update/select that causes all partitions to be scanned, it is very
fast at skipping over partitions based on a quick index lookup.
Nothing really gets hammered.