Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date: 2010-07-29 03:16:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> However, if we don't support that, we can't do any sort of pooling-ish
>> thing without the ability to pass file descriptors between processes;
>> and Tom seems fairly convinced there's no portable way to do that.
>
> Well, what it would come down to is: are we prepared to not support
> pooling on platforms without such a capability?  It's certainly possible
> to do it on many modern platforms, but I don't believe we can make it
> happen everywhere.  Generally we've tried to avoid having major features
> that don't work everywhere ...

I suppose it depends on the magnitude of the benefit. And how many
platforms aren't covered. And how much code is required. In short,
until someone writes a patch, who knows? I think the core question we
should be thinking about is what would be the cleanest method of
resetting a backend - either for the same database or for a different
one, whichever seems easier. And by cleanest, I mean least likely to
introduce bugs. If we can get to the point where we have something to
play around with, even if it's kind of kludgey or doesn't quite work,
it'll give us some idea of whether further effort is worthwhile and
how it should be directed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company