Re: string function - "format" function proposal

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: string function - "format" function proposal
Date: 2010-10-14 02:03:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> [ updated patch, in response to a review from Itagaki Takahiro ]
>
> This patch appears to be waiting for a second round of review.
> Itagaki-san, are you planning to do that?

I can, but I was waiting for other people's comments about the design:
- format() in core, that implements %s, %i, and %l.
- substitute() for $n format and sprintf() that partially implements
the same function in C in contrib/stringfunc.

I don't like having three similar functions for the same purpose,
but Pavel said they are the best solutions. What will be our consensus?

--
Itagaki Takahiro