Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-29 06:27:25
Lists: pgsql-general

hi ,
Thanks for several of the links that you guys posted.

The issue is not that I am looking for consulting companies who will set up
and optimize postgres+software. There are a million small firms that do
M*SQL+<any CMS> work. And I am looking to do that kind of work with clients
- but I want to use the best DB out there, which I believe to be postgres.
But I find it hard to do it.

Clients do not want to engage in full custom s/w development, because they
get worried on what happens if we go out of business. I am sure many of you
out there, who have bigger clients have different experiences - but this is
the truth for most of the business that we see. And most of the existing
community or paid software out there, does not play nice with postgres.

This vicious cycle can only be broken at the level of pre-packaged web
software, which ought to work beautifully out-of-the-box with postgres.
There is just no way out of this.

What really, really hurts me is this - come Postgres 9.0 you will have the
most amazing DB software in the open source community. I (and millions of
small time developers like me) wont be able to leverage that - because our
clients will still demand <insert well known/commercially supported web
software>, which have no good support for postgres.

-Sandeep