Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Date: 2011-02-11 13:18:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
>> On Feb 10, 2011, at 7:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> (I'm not wedded to the phrase "FROM OLD" in particular, but it does
>>> reuse already existing keywords.  Also, maybe it'd be better to reserve
>>> a version string such as "old" or "bootstrap", so that the bootstrap
>>> script could be called something more legible like foo-bootstrap-1.0.sql.)
>
>> Well, it's not really a bootstrap, is it? FROM OLD is okay, though not great. FROM BEFORE would be better. Or IMPLICIT? (It was implicitly an extension before.) Or, hey, FROM NOTHING! :-)
>
> Hmm, you're right.  The word bootstrap implies that we're starting from
> nothing, which is exactly what we're *not* doing (starting from nothing
> is the easy "clean install" case).  By the same token, FROM NOTHING
> isn't the right phrase either.  An accurate description would be
> something like FROM UNPACKAGED OBJECTS, but I'm not seriously proposing
> that ...

Well, you're bootstrapping the extension mechanism.

> Other ideas anyone?

I still think you might be over-designing this. Upgrading from the
pre-extension world doesn't need to be elegant; it just has to work.
And you can do that yourself, with the proposed infrastructure:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-02/msg00911.php

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company