Re: Additional options for Sync Replication

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional options for Sync Replication
Date: 2011-03-29 16:29:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> However, we also
> bumped MANY patches to 9.2 because they weren't in sufficiently good
> shape soon enough.  If we accept this patch now because a bunch of
> people say they really, really want it, isn't that unfair to the
> people to whom we've already said "sorry, the deadline has passed"?
>
> Of course, there is always going to be some gray area.  I argued for
> committing the replication_timeout patch because I believe the fact
> that we haven't got that feature is almost a bug - it interferes
> significantly with the usability of replication in general, and it
> will be an even more serious problem with sync rep, where a hung
> standby connection will not only mean that nothing is replicating but
> also that no write transactions can be processed at all.  However, you
> could make the opposite argument - that it's really a new feature -
> and therefore we ought not to commit it.  So far no one has taken that
> position, but it's certainly a reasonable argument.

The questions and issues you raise are real and I have no idea how to
judge them. All I know is that if we spent less time discussing
procedural issues, we'd get a lot more done and much more amicably
also.

I think "What makes PostgreSQL better?". I think about a rounded
feature set and treat that just as I would a bug. I know that's not
the same for everybody.

I'm happy there are people looking at replication timeouts also.
Regrettably I don't have enough time for everything I would like to
see.