Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum
Date: 2011-03-01 13:40:37
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:43 AM, David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com> wrote:
>> Was this cluster upgraded to 8.4.4 from 8.4.0?  It sounds to me like a known bug in 8.4.0 which was fixed by this commit:
>>

> The reproduction script described was running vacuum repeatedly. A
> single vacuum run out to be sufficient to clean up the problem if it
> was left-over.
>
> I wonder if it would help to write a regression test that runs 100 or
> so vacuums and see if the bulid farm turns up any examples of this
> behaviour.

One other thing to keep in mind here is that the warning message we've
chosen can be a bit misleading. The warning is:

WARNING: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set in relation "test" page 1

...which implies that the state of the tuples is correct, and that the
page-level bit is wrong in comparison. But I recently saw a case
where the infomask got clobbered, resulting in this warning. The page
level bit was correct, at least relative to the intended page
contents; it was the a tuple on the page that was screwed up. It
might have been better to pick a more neutral phrasing, like "page is
marked all-visible but some tuples are not visible".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company