autovacuum issue after upgrade to 9.0.1

From: George Woodring <george(dot)woodring(at)iglass(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: autovacuum issue after upgrade to 9.0.1
Date: 2011-03-15 18:38:37
Lists: pgsql-general

We recently upgraded from 8.3.something to 9.0.1. With 9.0.1, we have a
huge spike in vacuums every 8 days only on one of our DB servers. We go
from approx 20 vacuums every 5 minutes to 350 per 5 minutes. This lasts for
several hours, then stops. I have attached a graph that shows the
occurrence. I am assuming that it needs to vacuum all of my tables to avoid
some sort of wrap around counter. I am wondering what is the best way to
make autovacuum spread this out so it will not be quite a big of a hit. I
we did not see this with 8.3 and I kept the setting the same after the
upgrade.

Here are my autovacuum settings:

autovacuum = on
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0