Re: Why facebook used mysql ?

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date: 2010-11-09 12:50:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com> wrote:
> There was an interesting post today on highscalability
> - http://highscalability.com/blog/2010/11/4/facebook-at-13-million-queries-per-second-recommends-minimiz.html
> The discussion/comments touched upon why mysql is a better idea for Facebook
> than Postgres. Here's an interesting one

postgresql might not be a good fit for this type of application, but
the reasoning given in the article is really suspicious. The true
answer was hinted at in the comments: "we chose it first, and there
was never a reason to change it". It really comes down to they
probably don't need much from the database other than a distributed
key value store, and they built a big software layer on top of that to
manage it. Hm, I use facebook and I've seen tons of inconsistent
answers, missing notifications and such. I wonder if there's a
connection there...

merlin