Re: patch: tsearch - some memory diet

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: tsearch - some memory diet
Date: 2010-09-28 03:30:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> In the particular case here, the dictionary structures could probably
> safely use such a context type, but I'm not sure it's worth bothering
> if the long-term plan is to implement a precompiler.  There would be
> no need for this after the precompiled representation is installed,
> because that'd just be one big hunk of memory anyway.

Rather than inventing something more complex, I'm inclined to say we
should just go ahead and apply this more or less as Pavel wrote it. I
haven't tried to reproduce Pavel's results, but I assume that they are
accurate and that's a pretty big savings for a pretty trivial amount
of code. If it gets thrown away later when/if someone codes up a
precompiler, no harm done.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company