Re: vacuumdb for schema only

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb for schema only
Date: 2010-09-08 13:06:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

2010/9/8 Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com>

> Hi!
>
> I would also expect you to be able to make a Stored Procedure executing the
> same command, although I never tried it myself.

It is not possible... vacuum cannot be executed inside a function or
transaction.

See de sample:

-- Using function
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION fc_vacuum(TEXT) RETURNS VOID AS
$$
BEGIN
EXECUTE 'VACUUM '||$1;
RETURN;
END;
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

postgres(at)bdteste=# select fc_vacuum('foo');
ERROR: VACUUM cannot be executed from a function
CONTEXT: SQL statement "VACUUM foo"
PL/pgSQL function "fc_vacuum" line 2 at execute statement

-- Using transaction
postgres(at)bdteste=# begin;
BEGIN
postgres(at)bdteste=# VACUUM foo;
ERROR: VACUUM cannot run inside a transaction block

Best regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello