Re: Postgres Wishlist

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Donald Kerr <donald(dot)kerr(at)dkerr(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Wishlist
Date: 2010-11-13 21:52:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

On 13 November 2010 22:25, Donald Kerr <donald(dot)kerr(at)dkerr(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for your input and that certainly clears things up in terms of
> resolving the problem by using a function.
>
> However, my problem was solved using the following code:
[...]

Yes, I saw that, but thought I would clarify anyway :)

> I know it is maybe an undocumented feature but it works, is only one query
> and it is portable between Postgres servers without having to create a
> custom function.

If that's important then of course do it like you are doing, but in
other situations it might make more sense to create the function. In
this case the function would not get around the use of an undocumented
feature anyway, unless you went with pgperl or another language.

> Many thanks.

No problem.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>