Re: Bug / shortcoming in has_*_privilege

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug / shortcoming in has_*_privilege
Date: 2010-08-11 13:21:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 06:48 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

>> > ISTM this bug should be on the open items list...
>>
>> I don't think this is a bug.
>
> It clearly rates higher in importance than most of the things on the
> open items list of late...

First, I don't think that's true. WALreceiver crashing on AIX, the
backup procedure in the manual possibly being wrong, and the
documentation failing to be installed sometimes all seem like they are
clearly more serious issues than this. I am sort of wondering why no
one is working on those issues; apparently, nobody other than me minds
if it takes another three months to get 9.0 out the door. Frankly, I
think the ExplainOnePlan bit is more important, too, although I'm
starting to think we should fix that for 9.1 rather than 9.0.

Second, even if it were true, the fact that something is important
does not make it a bug fix.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company