Re: huia and moa versus old PG branches

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: huia and moa versus old PG branches
Date: 2010-08-31 14:12:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> moa, which is claimed on the buildfarm dashboard to be using gcc but is
>>> actually using cc, hits the spinlock problem in 8.0 and 8.1 and the
>>> BYTE_ORDER problem in 8.2.
>
>> Per above, moa is configured with --disable-spinlocks for 8.1/8.0. Is
>> something else broken in the configure code - or am I missing the
>> point of --disable-spinlocks?
>
> Hum ... you are right, there is something else broken there.  It looks
> like, on platforms where we have an out-of-line assembler file, we
> attempt to assemble it whether or not --disable-spinlocks is selected
> (because configure sets TAS anyway).
>
> This is clearly something we should fix, but I've got mixed feelings
> about whether to back-patch it all the way, in view of the fact that
> nobody complained before.  If you would like to keep running moa with
> --disable-spinlocks in the old branches, I'll do it.

Personally I have no interest in Solaris - I'm just providing animals
because I can. I'll do whatever makes most sense for the project.

> However, it looks
> like what you did amounts to --disable-spinlocks in *all* branches,
> which is definitely not what we want to test.  If you can fix the
> buildfarm configuration so that that switch is really applied
> selectively to just pre-8.2 branches, then I think it'd be good to make
> that happen.  If you can't, I think it'd be best to just drop the switch
> and forget about pre-8.2 on moa.

I did this already, based on other similar code in the default config
file. My perl-fu is weak though - maybe screwed something up?

# Add --disable-spinlocks on 8.1 and below
if ($branch le 'REL8_1')
{
push(@{$conf{config_opts}},"--disable-spinlocks")

}