Help loading data. Error code page 850

From: chris chris <cpatrouch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help loading data. Error code page 850
Date: 2011-02-18 16:52:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

*-------------begin message--------------*
*
*1. Warning: Console code page (850) differs from Windows code page (1252)
8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference *
*page "Notes for Windows users" for details. *
*
*
*After searching and reading, I am still not sure how to remedy this error.
I suspect it is important, as I have not been able to load any data to my
introductory database. Could anyone point me to some basic, step by step
instructions? *

A recent thread to which Bob Pawley, Adrian Klavar (and perhaps elsewhere,
Tamar Tahir) have contributed touches upon solutions to the problem. Also,
I came across the following in the PostgresQL 9.0.3 Documentation:

Notes for Windows users

psql is built as a "console application". Since the Windows console windows
use a different encoding than the rest of the system, you must take special
care when using 8-bit characters within psql. If psql detects a problematic
console code page, it will warn you at startup. To change the console code
page, two things are necessary:

Set the code page by entering cmd.exe /c chcp 1252. (1252 is a code page
that is appropriate for German; replace it with your value.) If you are
using Cygwin, you can put this command in /etc/profile.

Set the console font to Lucida Console, because the raster font does not
work with the ANSI code page.

cpatrouch (at) gmail (dot) com