Re: merge command - GSoC progress

From: Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: merge command - GSoC progress
Date: 2010-08-04 04:55:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/8/4 Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>

> Boxuan Zhai wrote:
>
>> I think there are no redundant lines in this time's patch file.
>>

> It is much better. There are still more blank likes around the new code
> you've added than are needed in many places, but that doesn't interfere with
> reading the patch.
>
> Sorry, it is my personal habit of leaving blanks around codes. I will chage
this if it doesn't follow the pgsql coding style.

> The main code formatting issue left you'll need to address eventually are
> all the really long comments in there.
>
> I will correct the long comments in the next patch.

> And, I have tested the running of MERGE command with different situations.
>> I am sorry that I didn't create regression test files, because I am not sure
>> how to add new files in the git package.
>>

> git add <filename> ?
>
> The tests you've put in there are the right general sort of things to try
> out. The one example you gave does show an UPSERT being emulated by MERGE,
> which is the #1 thing people are looking for initially.
>
> In fact, I have created a merge.sql with simple merge example. I put it in
the folder of /src/test/regress/sql/ and modified the serial_schedule file
to add a line of : test: merge
Is this correct?

But, I don't know how to run regress to test this sql file. My "make check"
fails when install the db. I think this is because I do it under a MinGW
environment and some parameters are not matched with the default setting of
postgres.
I can configure, make install , initdb and do sql query in psql successfully
in my machine. So the source code itself should be correct.

I put my merge.sql in attachment, in case anyone want to have a look.

> --
> Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
> greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us <http://www.2ndquadrant.us/>

Attachment Content-Type Size
merge.sql application/octet-stream 1.1 KB