Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache
Date: 2011-03-22 22:06:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Radosław Smogura
<rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> Monday 21 March 2011 20:58:16
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > I was assuming that locking part of a mapping would force the kernel
>> > to split the mapping. It has to record the locked state somewhere so
>> > it needs a data structure that represents the size of the locked
>> > section and that would, I assume, be the mapping.
>> >
>> > It's possible the kernel would not in fact fall over too badly doing
>> > this. At some point I'll go ahead and do experiments on it. It's a bit
>> > fraught though as it the performance may depend on the memory
>> > management features of the chipset.
>> >
>> > That said, that's only part of the battle. On 32bit you can't map the
>> > whole database as your database could easily be larger than your
>> > address space. I have some ideas on how to tackle that but the
>> > simplest test would be to just mmap 8kB chunks everywhere.
>>
>> Even on 64 bit systems you only have 48 bit address space which is not
>> a theoretical  limitation.  However, at least on linux you can map in
>> and map out pretty quick (10 microseconds paired on my linux vm) so
>> that's not so big of a deal.  Dealing with rapidly growing files is a
>> problem.  That said, probably you are not going to want to reserve
>> multiple gigabytes in 8k non contiguous chunks.
>>
>> > But it's worse than that. Since you're not responsible for flushing
>> > blocks to disk any longer you need some way to *unlock* a block when
>> > it's possible to be flushed. That means when you flush the xlog you
>> > have to somehow find all the blocks that might no longer need to be
>> > locked and atomically unlock them. That would require new
>> > infrastructure we don't have though it might not be too hard.
>> >
>> > What would be nice is a mlock_until() where you eventually issue a
>> > call to tell the kernel what point in time you've reached and it
>> > unlocks everything older than that time.
>>
>> I wonder if there is any reason to mlock at all...if you are going to
>> 'do' mmap, can't you just hide under current lock architecture for
>> actual locking and do direct memory access without mlock?
>>
>> merlin
>
> Actually after dealing with mmap and adding munmap I found crucial thing why
> to not use mmap:
> You need to munmap, and for me this takes much time, even if I read with
> SHARED | PROT_READ, it's looks like Linux do flush or something else, same as
> with MAP_FIXED, MAP_PRIVATE, etc.

can you produce small program demonstrating the problem? This is not
how things should work AIUI.

I was thinking about playing with mmap implementation of clog system
-- it's perhaps better fit. clog is rigidly defined size, and has
very high performance requirements. Also it's much less changes than
reimplementing heap buffering, and maybe not so much affected by
munmap.

merlin