Re: Index Ignored Due To Use Of View

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Donald Fraser <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>
Cc: "[BUGS]" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index Ignored Due To Use Of View
Date: 2011-03-23 13:54:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Donald Fraser <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net> wrote:
> [...]

Also, it's bad practice to do order by/limit in the new definition
like that. Leave them off, and do it in the calling query. I would
write your function like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_cmpyname(integer) RETURNS citext AS
$$
SELECT CASE
WHEN length(s_umbname) > 0 THEN s_umbname || '-' || s_res
ELSE ''
END FROM tbl_cmpy WHERE id = $1;
$$ LANGUAGE sql STABLE STRICT;

I took off the limit 1 because you probably don't need it.

merlin