Re: About our GSoC projects

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About our GSoC projects
Date: 2010-08-17 14:08:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>>> So, my basic question is: how do we handle this?
>>>
>>> I know Luis is interested to continue to work on his project. I don't
>>> know for Adeel. Anyway, perhaps a good way to do this is to create two
>>> dev branches on the pgadmin repo, one for each GSoC project. But I
>>> wonder what we should do with the branches once they'll get merged on
>>> the master branch.
>>
>> That doesn't help unless we give them both commit access, which isn't
>> going to happen on the master repo. Ashesh is much higher up in the
>> queue for that :-)
>>

> OK.
>
>> I would suggest that they both create repos on github (or one of us
>> does, and gives them access).
>>

> I can probably do that. I can create two repos, one for each project, on
> my github account, apply the respective patch, and give them access to
> it and to anyone else who wants to work on this. Adeel had trouble
> working with git on Windows, and I wasn't able to help him on that.
> Though I need to do it myself, so I should be able to help him next time.
>
> Magnus, care to share your thoughts on this? you're much more
> experienced with git than me :)

That's not the way to use github.

The proper way, if we want people to use github (fwiw, I think that's
a good idea), is to create an authoritative mirror there, like we've
done for PostgreSQL. This could be done under the same account as
postgres (which needs to be converted to a group, but that's a
different thing), or a separate one for pgadmin. The users in question
then create their own personal github accounts, and forks the pgadmin
repository in there. Then they apply their patches to that, and keep
working off that.

Github provides the tools you need to merge this back into mainline,
if/when this is required. Until that is done, it's up to them to
regularly merge with upstream - which git makes really easy.

If we want to go this way, I'll be happy to set up the github
mirroring required for the main repository.

WRT git for windows - it works pretty well, except some things break
on 64-bit windows (due to mingw/msys not working properly there). But
that's a matter of doing "git fetch ; git merge" instead of "git
pull". I'm told this is fixed in newer versions, but I haven't tried
that myself.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/