Re: wip: functions median and percentile

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: wip: functions median and percentile
Date: 2010-09-21 20:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

Hello

I found probably hard problem in cooperation with window functions :(

tuplesort_begin_datum creates child context inside aggcontext. This
context is used for tuplestore. But when this function is called from
WindowAgg_Aggregates context - someone drops all child context every
iteration, and then tuplestore state is invalid. For this moment we
can block using a median function as window function, but it should be
solved better - if it is possible - I don't see inside window function
implementation.

2010/9/20 Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> 2010/8/19 Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am sending a prototype implementation of functions median and
>> percentile. This implementation is very simple and I moved it to
>> contrib for this moment - it is more easy maintainable. Later I'll
>> move it to core.
>
> I've reviewed this patch.
>
> * The patch can apply cleanly and make doesn't print any errors nor
> warnings. But it doesn't touch contrib/Makefile so I had to make by
> changing dir to contrib/median.

fixed

> * Cosmetic coding style should be more appropriate, including trailing
> white spaces and indentation positions.

can you specify where, please?

> * Since these two aggregates use tuplesort inside it, there're
> possible risk to cause out of memory in normal use case. I don't think
> this fact is critical, but at least some notation should be referred
> in docs.

it is same as windows function, no? So the risk is same.

> * It doesn't contain any document nor regression tests.

yes, it is my fault, some median regress test appended, documentation
I am will sending later - resp. if you agree with current form of
patch, I'll finalize this patch and remove "median" to core. I put
these functions to contrib just for simple testing of proof concept.

> * They should be callable in window function context; for example
>
> contrib_regression=# select median(a) over (order by a) from t1;
> ERROR:  invalid tuplesort state
>
> or at least user-friend message should be printed.

the problem is in windows function implementation - partially fixed -
blocked from windows context

> * The returned type is controversy. median(int) returns float8 as the
> patch intended, but avg(int) returns numeric. AFAIK only avg(float8)
> returns float8.

fixed

> * percentile() is more problematic; first, the second argument for the
> aggregate takes N of "N%ile" as int, like 50 if you want 50%ile,  but
> it doesn't care about negative values or more than 100. In addition,
> the second argument is taken at the first non-NULL value of the first
> argument, but the second argument is semantically constant. For
> example, for (1.. 10) value of a in table t1,

yes, I understand - I don't have a problem to modify it. Just this has
same behave as string_agg. This is again deeper problem - we cannot
ensure so some parameter of aggregation function will be a constant. -
so it cannot be well solved now :( Have you some idea? There isn't any
tool for checking if some parameter is constant or not.

I removed percentile now.

> contrib_regression=# select percentile(a, a * 10 order by a) from t1;
>  percentile
> ------------
>          1
> (1 row)
>
> contrib_regression=# select percentile(a, a * 10 order by a desc) from t1;
>  percentile
> ------------
>         10
> (1 row)
>
> and if the argument comes from the subquery which doesn't contain
> ORDER BY clause, you cannot predict the result.
>
> That's all of my quick review up to now.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Hitoshi Harada

Attachment Content-Type Size