Re: Installing Contrib Modules with a Precompiled Binary

From: Aram Fingal <fingal(at)multifactorial(dot)com>
To: Postgres-General General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing Contrib Modules with a Precompiled Binary
Date: 2010-09-20 19:20:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Aram Fingal <fingal(at)multifactorial(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm using the OS X precompiled binary from EnterpriseDB and want to add the tablefunc contrib module. I haven't been able to find any documentation about how to do this or even whether modules can be added to this binary version.
>
> It's the same as the source version except you don't need to build the
> binary - just run the SQL script from the share/ subdirectory of the
> installation.

So that means something like:

psql -d dbname -f /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/share/postgresql/contrib/tablefunc.sql

>> I suppose that it may be a good idea to export my databases and compile from source anyway. I see that Postgres is running as a 32-bit application while I have a 64-bit machine and OS (OS X, Snow Leopard.)
>
> The 9.0 release supports 32 and 64 bit Intel machines.

I suppose that I will have to export and re-import the databases when I upgrade? That may be worth it but I'll do it later. I do have some some very intensive queries, which take a long time to run, but I gather (from Tom Lane's comment) that switching to 64-bit will only help if the query would benefit from utilizing large amounts of RAM (like more than 2GB?) A single query will still run on a single processor core. I do have 8GB RAM in the machine but my databases are just not that big.

-Aram