Re: Linux Version

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Ken Kinder'" <ken(at)kenkinder(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux Version
Date: 2001-10-17 19:54:54
Lists: pgadmin-support

This is incorrect. PostgreSQL runs well on Windows NT/2000 and will also run
on Windows 9x/ME.

> and as an Open Source database, it's absurd to have an Open
> Souce GUI for it that relies on a proprietary operating
> system that PostgreSQL users are not likely to use.

Tell that to the thousands that have downloaded it. The original pgAdmin
project was started in 1997 because so many people kept asking for a good
PostgreSQL admin tool for Windows.

> Because
> PostgreSQL itself is _only_ available for linux and unix, it
> seems silly to work on Windows GUIs.

As I said, PostgreSQL is most certainly not only for *nix, and even if it
was, many people like myself (an IT Manager running a network of around 120
workstations and a dozen or so servers of various types across 8 sites) use
Windows on our desktop machines through necessity. I run PostgreSQL on my
Windows 2000 laptop for developing pgAdmin, and on Linux servers for users
running applications on their Windows Workstations and as the backend for
some php powered websites.

I know for a fact I'm not alone here. Whilst I would love to put Linux on
every desktop and get rid of M$ products it's just not possible in my
organisation and many others for numerous reasons.

> You really should address the issue of using a standard
> operating system on your web site.

A standard operating system like the ones supplied on probably 95% of the
PCs sold around the world you mean?

> I don't know whether the rewrite made it better, but the fact
> that it isn't for Linux makes it worthless to me and most
> PostgreSQL users.

It may be worthless to you, but to many it is not. That is fine by me, I'm
not forcing you to use it (though you may well miss out as I'm pretty sure
it's now the most comprehensive PostgreSQL toolset you'll find). There are
other tools such as pgAccess or phpPgAdmin that you could use.

Of course, you could run it under Wine like myself and one of my staff who
both run KDE on Slackware Linux on our test boxes at work.... Oh, I'm sorry,
did the (as yet incomplete) website/documentation not mention that pgAdmin
runs under Wine?

And before you complain about that omission, bear in mind that I myself have
written (in my own time) and given away around 30,000 lines of code on this
new version of pgAdmin alone since March or so this year. I don't get paid
for it and haven't had time to finish writing up every last possible thing
you can do with pgAdmin.

Dave.