Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Jason Tishler'" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb
Date: 2001-09-25 20:16:21
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Yup, that did it (after a brief struggle with the security that ended with
me waving a white flag and logging in as the local Administrator!).

Actually, I still can't connect with psql but that's another problem
(probably not Cygwin) - the postmaster is running at least.

> Unfortunately, I cannot explain why your setup works for
> 7.1.3 but not 7.2.

My guess is that someone added the mode check on $PGDATA to initdb as a
simple check to help secure databases - of course on 99.99999% on *nix
systems that will work just fine!

I get the feeling that this question may well become as common as the
current 'why does my initdb hang?'...

Thanks, Dave.