Re: pg_receivexlog --status-interval add fsync feedback

From: <furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <teranishih(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: pg_receivexlog --status-interval add fsync feedback
Date: 2014-09-29 10:13:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> slot.

> >> The patch cannot be applied to HEAD cleanly. Could you update the
> patch?
> >
> > Thank you for pointing out.
> > Updated the patch.
>
> I don't understand what this patch does. When would you want to use the
> new --reply-fsync option? Is there any reason *not* to use it? In other
> words, do we need an option for this, couldn't you just always send the
> feedback message after fsync?

Thanks for the comment.

--reply-fsync option is intended for use in synchronous mode.

By specifying -F option and --slot option, process calls fsync() when it received the WAL, and flush location would be set in feedback message.

Interval of sending feedback message depends on -s option in this state, so in the case of synchronous mode, waiting for feedback message would occure.

therefore, --reply-fsync option is necessary. because it can send the feedback message after fsync without waiting for the interval of -s option.

The reason for not sending the feedback message after fsync without waiting for the interval of -s option always, is to answer the needs who want to use fsync only (NOT using synchronous mode).

Regards,

--
Furuya Osamu